Anything Goes – Well Almost! (Almost) all my colors

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Joy Dix 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

I finally received most of the new colors I had ordered today, so now I’m only missing one, which is the one left white in the photo, but it is to be cerulean blue by Daniel Smith. I already have a cerulean blue by Mijello. (I have marked the colors DS for Daniel Smith, M for Mijello, SH for Schmincke horadam and S for Sennelier.) Most of these are Daniel Smith. I haven’t been perfectly happy with my Mijello colors, which is why I decided to get a cerulean blue from Daniel Smith too. Some of the Mijello are too opaque for me, or they don’t have the right shade, but permanent yellow deep and ultramarine light make for very interesting results when mixed together on the paper! Now I notice by the way that ultramarine light from Mijello and my hansa yellow light from Daniel Smith somehow escaped the shot, but they are not in my main palette. (I chose a transparent yellow for my main palette.)

The top 3 rows are the colors I plan on putting in my main palette for now. I have cut them up like this in order to be able to play around with positioning and combinations. The bottom row are the colors I am planning to put in a secondary palette that I won’t be using as often, but still have at hand. I will probably be making changes as I go along and remove more colors from my main palette as some of them are quite similar.

Out of my old colors, moonglow is probably my favourite because it is so versatile and I use it for so many things. Out of my new colors, I love the warmth of quinacridone gold, and I’m also very excited about trying green apatite genuine.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96680 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

Nice colors in your palette, Agathe. Enjoy them! I try to use only transparent pigments and seem to fall back on the same 5 or 6 colors.

• #96704 Score: 0

PCampbell
    Participant
    2 pts

Love the way you’ve done cards so you can move them around and decide what to use on each project. Loozks like a lot of work though. Maybe this winter when I’m snowed in and have nothing to do (like that will ever happen), I’ll work up some cards for my palette. Could be lots of fun!

• #96712 Score: 0

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi Agathe,

I think you are very organised, and it  looks like you have a well balanced palette. Recently I have been trying to keep to a master palette of a limited number of colours which work for the light and atmosphere of the place where I live, which is misty and rainy Wales, with lots of greeny blue slates in the mountains, walls and roofs. In have found DS colours to be very strong and clear, but quite like the subtlety of some Windsor and Newton, and have found that Holbein cerulean blue is a great mixer. I attach my messy palette chart for comparison.

Attachments:
  • #96717 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Judy, I try to keep as many colors as possible transparent! It just seems so much easier. 🙂

PCampbell, it was a fun project and maybe something to do when you feel blocked and uninspired? I’ve also started making a map of color combinations I find especially useful. 🙂

Brynteg, Thank you for sharing your palette. It looks a really nice one! I have actually not yet tried W&N colors but will probably at some point. Same with Holbein, which I actually tried to get hold of in the beginning because it seemed like a more affordable option. Also love your mixes there. I’ll make a mental note of them and try them with my own colors!

• #97070 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

My main watercolour palette consists of 8 colours and Paynes Grey.   I do add others occasionally, but always find myself reverting to these.   I love the way they combine to make other colours – particularly the Cereleun Blue and Alizarin Crimson for greys.  My colour chart shows the pure colours and combinations in three reducing strengths.

Attachments:
  • #97072 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

Forgot to say.   I almost exclusively use Windsor and Newton artist Quality watercolours.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.