Your Watercolour Paintings A few sketch book entries

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DavidG14 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

Here are some quick sketches.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97716 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

And some more…

Attachments:
  • #97721 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

By the way, I didn’t really exaggerate the colors in the red tree picture.  This Japanese maple was turning in my neighbor’s side yard last fall, and I snapped a picture.

Attachments:
  • #97724 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

You have such a lovely loose style with vibrant colors.  I’ve been trying to get some brighter colors in my work and don’t know if its me or my W-N paints.  I have seen some works from people using Daniel Smith with really vibrant colors so was wondering whose paints you are using.

Thanks for sharing.

• #97725 Score: 0

Paula
      Participant
      13 pts

Hi David,

I use Winsor Newton for the most part.  Recently I bought a few tubes of Daniel Smith, but the burnt sienna doesn’t seem as bright.  Do you use tubes or pans?  I can never get paints in pans to be bright; you have to use so much water to get them activated.

• #97729 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      8 pts

Hi David. Don’t blame your paints. Of course there are little differences. You can have good results  with any decent paints. I’ve used 2 Daniel Smith paints and would not buy them again simply because they not any better than any other I use and pretty expensive. For some reason they harden on my palette and hard to get them going again. Feels like to much binder in them. On the other hand. I have some M.Graham that I’m not a fan ether. They stay sticky and I always get too much on my brush and it’s pretty annoying to me. I’ve had only one Windsor and Newton and those seem just right. Very similar to Da Vinci or white nights pans (my favorite)

I think it’s more what you mix to get bright or dull colors. I’m a pro in mud mixing you can ask anything about that:)

• #97726 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    8 pts

Nice sketches Paula! My favorite would be the maple tree. Nicely shaped trees and very fresh green colors. Second favorite would be tulips. Just simple and subtle painting. Nice color transitions. Painting with the building has interesting trees and bushes. Nicely painted. I’d like to be able to achieve something like that. Groups of trees. Very nice. Last painting is nice too. Windows are interesting hue to me

• #97735 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

I start with tubes and squeeze them nto pans. I havoe a travel palette that i want to harden and spray with water before using. I recently took out the pans to clean them and it was a mess.

i also have a fixed palette with pans and I’ve recently tried adding a few drops of glycerine to try and keep them moist. I haven’t seen much diffetent but i do use more water to rewet because i don’t have to worry about the paint spilling from the pans.

i wish all colors were for,ulated the same because some dry hard and crack and others take forever to harden. I also think i should concentrate on using only transparent colors.  I’ve spent a lot of time studying colors and their properties but have put too many in my palettes although i generally use only a few.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.