Your Watercolour Paintings 3 landscape sketches

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Annette 3 months ago.

• Author

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Oookay, so today’s goal was to get out of my comfort zone and try something I’m not very good at: Landscapes! There are tons of issues here (and the photo makes the paintings look a little darker than they really are), like my clouds, my skies, overworking things I should have left alone, going too dark and leaving few light washes etc. However, what I feel is my main frustration when I paint, is my struggle to choose colors that go well together. In my opinion, a painting can look gorgeous with colors that convey a certain atmosphere, even if it’s not technically very good. To hopefully help with this, I have ordered some new paints and will change my palette around a bit. I’ll be taking out some of the colors that I’m not too fond of, and add some new ones that I hope will inspire me to explore new combinations.

For the past few weeks I’ve been focusing more on my drawing skills and little on the painting part. I have learnt a lot and come a long way from where I started. But I feel the time has come to play with color again!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96411 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

I really like these Agathe. The two on separate paper are my favourites. In the top one I like how you’ve handled the foreground and mid ground grasses and in the bottom one, there is so much to enjoy. I love the gradation of coulour toward the background. Have you scraped out some of the foreground growth? (Both paintings)  It certainly works, if you have. And the perspective on the path creates such an invitation. I like your use of shadow. I’ll look forward to hearing about your new colours.

Thanks for sharing!

• #96412 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

@patricia-l Thanks so much! Yes, I did scrape some of the foreground, but I still need to practice my technique. I did some tests yesterday and figured out that my palette knive works the best, but there’s still the timing, which of course varies from paper to paper. I am very eager to start experimenting with my new colors. I should share a complete palette too once I’ve decided which way to go. 🙂

• #96413 Score: 0

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi Agathe,

These paintings have a really good feeling of distance and light. I like the texture and colours in the orange field, and the shadows on the fence and gate on the first picture are delicate and very effective. I have been looking at my colours too and weeding some out which can be achieved by mixing two I already have in my palette. It is so easy to have too many colours and get confused with colour combinations. I am learning how less is more! However there is always a pang of regret when a gorgeous colour goes back into the storage box.

• #96417 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

@brynteg Thank you! I did make some mistakes on the shadows on the fence, as with the shadows on one of the buildings. It is usually me not taking my light source into consideration, especially when I change it from the photo I’m using. I doubt my palette will be shrinking much, though there are a few that I will remove. Either because I hardly use them or need them, or because I just don’t think they go well with my other colors. But we’ll see. It will be fun to try out cause I’m really eager to get a more permanent palette going because that way I’d get a much more intimate relationship with each of the colors! Not to mention a more permanent placement of all the colors! 🙂

• #96432 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

I agree with Patricia and brynteg. I think all these are great! I’m not experienced enough to really give a critique, but I can see that you’ve created distance in each one very well. And you definitely have some sun shining in all of them. I especially love your clouds and that dirt road is awesome! So happy you’re wanting to paint now! Love your sketches, but am really looking forward to more paintings, too! 😀 Have fun with your new paints when they arrive! I’m slowly replacing my old ones which were actually my late grandmother’s who was an artist. Getting better quality ones.

• #96435 Score: 1

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

@lora Thanks so much! I’m a little surprised with the positive feedback. How nice you paint with your late grandmother’s paints! It must have been a special way to start painting. Although good quality paint makes it just a bit more fun. 🙂

• #96440 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

These are lovely, the colours are vibrant and rich which help create depth, its good to paint outside your comfort zone well done

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.